rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon More
twitter

Military on Anwar's claims

KUALA LUMPUR: The country's military intelligence yesterday denied it had been a source of information for Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim concerning threats to his safety and that of his family members.

Its director, Lt-Gen Datuk Mohd Salleh Ismail, also denied it had a report on the Altantuya Shaariibuu murder case, as claimed by blogger Raja Petra Kamaruddin in his statutory declaration made at the High Court here on June 18."Statements made by Anwar that military intelligence had warned him about threats to his safety are not true. "He might have other sources of information but certainly not from my department," he said after opening a basic digital photography course at Kolej Multimedia Telekom here today.

He said this when asked to comment on Anwar's claims on Sunday that he had received information from government sources and military intelligence that Barisan Nasional agents planned to harm or assassinate him and also harm his family members and supporters.

Touching on Raja Petra's statutory declaration, he said: "Since I took over (as director of military intelligence) I have no knowledge that such a report exists." In his declaration, Raja Petra had alleged that a copy of the report was in the possession of Umno Youth deputy chief Khairy Jamaluddin, who is also the member of parliament for Rembau, and that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had knowledge of it.

The declaration contained information about the alleged presence of Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, the wife of Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, at the murder scene when Altantuya's body was blown up with explosives in Puncak Alam, Selangor, in October 2006.He further alleged that the report said acting colonel Aziz Buyong, a bomb expert, and his wife Norhayati, who was said to be an aide of Rosmah, were with Rosmah on the night in question.Rosmah has since denied her presence there while Aziz and his wife are pursuing legal action against Raja Petra for making false allegations.

Salleh added that their (Anwar and Raja Petra) linking military intelligence to the two matters was irresponsible and immoral as it had caused confusion among the people and also cast doubts on the credibility of the agency."There is no involvement of the military intelligence in the nation's political scene. "The claims made by the duo are mere assumptions in trying to give added credibility to what they want to say. "They might also be pushing their own agendas in making the claims," he said, adding that military intelligence was keeping close tabs on the security situation in the country.

Perak PR govt will 'fall by Aug 31'

IPOH: Come National Day on Aug 31, the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) government in Perak will fall, claimed Perak Barisan Nasional chief and former menteri besar Datuk Seri Tajol Rosli Ghazali.

"It's not easy, (but) I'm very confident," he said, predicting that BN would resume its rule over the state, but declined to reveal details.He said several PR assemblymen were approached and given the chance to join BN, adding that they should be crossing over.When asked about his confidence, he said: "Have I ever spoken (of this) before?"PR has 31 assemblymen to BN's 28, with 18 from DAP, seven from PKR and six from Pas.

It was only a matter of waiting for the first state representative to join BN, he said after a closed-door meeting dubbed "An Evening with Ezam Mohd Noor" here yesterday.Ezam, the former PKR youth chief who rejoined Umno, would give courage to other PKR members to do the same, he added.Meanwhile, Ezam said he was informed by sources in PKR that the PR alliance would fall apart earlier than expected."I have many friends in PR and they have voiced discomfort and suspicion concerning the state government."

He said he placed more confidence in Tajol Rosli's prediction rather than PKR adviser Anwar Ibrahim's claim that PR would form the federal government by Sept 16.He said Anwar was not fit to lead the country as he no longer had the spirit of a statesman, where one would put the nation's interest ahead of his own.PKR's efforts to hold a gathering of one million people to protest the hike in fuel prices today was only a cover for the party's weakness.

"Everyone knows PKR has a weak structure and many problems at branch and division level. "To cover it up, they are organising demonstrations because demonstrations are easy to do."

Anwar challenges PM and DPM to debate on fuel prices

PETALING JAYA: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has challenged the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister to a live debate on July 15 to discuss how to tackle the oil crisis and reduce petrol and diesel prices.

He said Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak kept saying that there was no way that fuel prices could come down in view of the high global oil price.
"They don't know how to bring down the prices. I am prepared to take on the Prime Minister and the deputy Prime Minister and even the whole cabinet to debate the matter live on television," he said at a protest rally at the Kelana Jaya stadium Sunday night.

The de facto leader of PKR is already slated to debate the issue live with Information Minister Datuk Ahmad Shabery Cheek on July 15.
Anwar said the Prime Minister should not give excuses why his government had to hike up the prices drastically.
"I challenge him to a debate. There are some people who ask me: Anwar, are you sure you can conclusively bring down fuel prices? My answer is yes," he said.
He repeated his belief that if Pakatan Rakyat were to take over the country tomorrow, it would be able to bring down the oil prices the following day.

DAP advisor Lim Kit Siang said in his speech earlier that the increase in petrol and diesel price had trigged a total crisis of confidence in the leadership of Barisan Nasional.
He said Pak Lah's government had pledged reforms in the police, judiciary and the anti-corruption agency but so far nothing had come out of it.

He said the proposal for the judicial commission was still hanging in the air, while the proposal to set up independent police conduct and misconduct commission (IPCMC) had fallen into deaf ears and it questionable how independent the proposed anti-corruption commission would really be.
"Last time too, there was corruption but at least things got done. But now there is still corruption but the difference is that things do not get done," he said.

Lim hoped the message at the gathering would get across to the Barisan government.
At the end of the event, a man who tried to climb on stage when Anwar was delivering his speech was cornered and beaten up by supporters.

The man was said to have shouted out Anwar's name before attempting to get close to the leader who was on his way out.

PM: I know that people are fed-up with politicking

PUTRAJAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi is aware that the people are fed up with the political bickering that is going on in the country and has pledged to give priority to the needs of the people.

"I also know that the people are becoming fed up with the political manoeuvring taking place currently.

"Slandering has become more rampant. One no longer cares whether the accusations are true or otherwise," Abdullah said to Bernama Sunday.

He was commenting on the Sunday Star front-page report on the reaction of the people and community leaders over the political exchanges in the past few weeks.
"My main priority is to pay attention to important issues like the rising prices of fuel and goods, and to continue with the development programmes for the people," he said.

"The government wants to ensure a situation where the people need not worry or be afraid. They should be able to concentrate on their priorities in ensuring they can overcome their current problems and can do their best for themselves, their families and companies or organisations they represent,"

"I hope the people will join me in focusing on efforts to overcome all the problems and challenges faced today so that we can ensure peace, security and prosperity for the people," he added.
Commenting on the demonstration organised by certain groups as well as the current political developments, he said that he was perturbed by what was happening now "but I am aware of and understand the current situation."

"The general election is over. The people have already given their trust to the political parties of their choice. The people have chosen Barisan Nasional to continue to rule.

"As such, I don't see the rationale for the continued demonstrations, or to play politics purely to create instability that could jeopardise the people's safety and it is also aimed at toppling the government elected by the people," he said.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi Sunday pledged to ensure that Malaysia will continue to be peaceful and

PUTRAJAYA, July 6 -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi Sunday pledged to ensure that Malaysia will continue to be peaceful and safe despite perception to the contrary.

"The government wants to ensure a situation where the people need not worry or be afraid, and that they should be able to concentrate on their priorities in ensuring they can overcome their current problems and can do their best for themselves, their families and companies or organisations they represent," he said.

Abdullah, who was commenting on the demonstration organised by certain groups as well as the current political developments, told Bernama that he was perturbed by what was happening currently.

"But I am aware of and understand the current situation," he pointed out."I also know that the people are becoming fed up with the political manoeuvres taking place currently," Abdullah said."Slandering have become more rampant. One no longer cares whether the accusations are true or otherwise," he said.

The prime Minister pointed out that his priority in facing the current situation was to focus on the main issue which was to tackle the increase in the prices of fuel and other goods as well as development for the people."The general election is over. The people have already given their trust to the political parties of their choice.

The people have chosen Barisan Nasional to continue to rule."As such, I don't see the rationale for the continued demonstrations, or to play politics purely to create instability that could jeopardise the people's safety and it is also aimed at toppling the government elected by the people," he said.

"I hope the people will join me in focusing on efforts to overcome all the problems and challenges faced today so that we can ensure peace, security and prosperity for the people," he added.