rss
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon More
twitter

Angkasawan denies being paid RM1.2mil for seminar appearances

PETALING JAYA: Angkasawan Datuk Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor who is embroiled in a controversy over claims that he has collected RM1.2mil in fees for talks has vehemently denied the allegations.

The Angkasawan, whose family has also come out in support of him, also denied that he had made appearances and given talks to 150 companies.

“I am a millionaire? I wish I were,” he said in reaction to a report claiming that he had made a total of RM1.2mil by charging RM8,000 per hour.

Dr Sheikh Muszaphar also denied making appearances at 150 corporate functions, saying that so far, he had given talks at 200 schools and less than 10 companies.

“The report is absolutely untrue,” he said in an interview yesterday.

Science, Technology and Innovation Minister Datuk Dr Maximus Ongkili said the ministry had not received any official complaint about the allegations made in a news portal.

Dr Ongkili said that if the allegations were true, a complaint could be lodged and the ministry would investigate.

He said the Government’s contracts with the two Angkasawan — the other is Dr Faiz Khaleed — expires on Dec 31, adding that under the contract, they were obliged to take part in all promotional programmes arranged by the ministry.

They are also prohibited from receiving any rewards other than those from the ministry, he said.

Ongkili’s deputy Fadillah Yusof, in response to the allegations, said: “I’ve asked him (the astronaut) to meet me to discuss the matter on Monday.”

The Angkasawan’s father, Datuk Sheikh Mustapha Syed Shukor, and brother Sheikh Taufik (who often accompanied him for talks around the country), also vouched for Dr Sheikh Muszaphar, saying he had never demanded fees and added that he was a victim of jealousy and backstabbing.

Sheikh Taufik said: “He does not get paid for programmes organised under the Angkasawan programme like roadshows and school visits.

“Sometimes at the schools, he brings along his book (Reaching for the Stars) but all proceeds from sales are meant for the children of our brother (Sheikh Mustapa who died not long after Dr Sheikh Muszaphar landed on Earth).

“He is not fussy about money. He regrets leaving the matter for third parties to arrange and now wants to personally deal with such invitations,” Sheikh Taufik added.

The father expressed disappointment with the way his son has been treated.

He said Dr Sheikh Muszaphar did not get much from the ministry, adding: “He was only given a car to use and paid a RM5,000-plus salary. He even has to pay for a driver and a bodyguard to see to his safety as he has to travel around a lot to give motivational talks.

“When he is invited to give talks overseas, such as in the United States, he has to pay for lodging and flight tickets. So, if the organisers offer payment, he accepts them for these purposes,” Sheikh Mustapha said.

He claimed that many organisers wanted to make money out of his son by inviting him to give talks. He also said that Dr Sheikh Muszaphar was not given monetary rewards like other sportsmen who made the country proud.

“All he gets is his monthly salary.

“He was also warned not to accept any datukship,” he said, adding that Dr Sheikh Muszaphar, however, accepted his datukship from the Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan, his home state.

“He did not want to accept but I told him that the Yam Tuan Besar will murka (be angry).”

By JANE RITIKOS

Workers and employers rail against EPF directive

PETALING JAYA: EPF’s move requiring contributors who wish to maintain their existing contribution at 11% to fill up a form has drawn protests from employee and employer associations.

Cuepacs and Fomca regard EPF’s arrangement as tantamount to forcing workers to comply, while the MTUC and Malaysian Employers’ Federation (MEF) feel it implies that the move was mandatory instead of voluntary.

“This seems like force. Those who are interested to reduce their contribution should fill up the form; not the other way round,” said Cuepacs president Omar Osman.

Omar said he believed the majority of contributors from the private sector were not in favour of the move and called on the EPF to come up with the best arrangement that benefited workers for their long-term investments.

According to an EPF statement on Thurs­day, contributors who wished to maintain their 11% contribution rate were required to fill up Form KWSP 17A (AHL) and hand it to their employers for submission to the EPF.

EPF will automatically adjust employees’ contribution to 8% from January if they failed to fill the form.

On Nov 4, Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced a voluntary reduction of employees’ contribution from 11% to 8% as part of the Government’s stimulus package for the economy.

Fomca secretary-general Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah said: “Automatic reduction cannot be regarded as voluntary. The principles of justice should be applied as promised because the change is voluntary.

“Those who want to maintain it at 11% should not be required to apply.”

MTUC deputy president Mohd Khalid Atan said EPF’s directive was not practical.

by The Star

Mukhriz throws down the gauntlet at his accusers to prove money politics


THE UMNO INTERVIEWS
This is the first in a series of Umno interviews. Next on the pipeline are Q & As with ex-Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Khir Toyo and deputy youth chief Khairy Jamaluddin.
Mukhriz: Walking the talk.

BESIEGED by claims that he is not walking his talk on the issue of money politics, Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir, in an interview with The Star, has thrown down the gauntlet at his accusers ... prove it and he will back out of the race for the Umno Youth chief post.

Q: What is your view on the five months campaign period.

A: This gives us ample time to meet the delegates. But it can also be abused because it gives certain parties more time to buy votes. If money politics is not resolved, it does not matter what we want to bring to the party, it will come to nought because Umno will lose the trust of the people in the next general elections.

Q: Since you are an interested party, the option to go by the book or join the game is also opened to you.

A: I have a clean track record and I am not about to ruin my reputation by indulging in money politics. People know that I lost in Kubang Pasu in 2004 (for the division Umno Youth chief) with my honour intact because I did not use money. I also won the national exco seat with the highest votes. Until now, people still come to me and say that they respect me because I do not indulge in this kind of nonsense.

Q: But lately many people are saying that all your talk about eradicating money politics are just rhetoric and that you are equally involved in such acts.

A: Then they should bring this up. People who were offered money under my name should report it. I know that some people are saying that I am dua kali lima (meaning the same) when I speak about these ills, but people on the ground who really know me will tell you that I am not like that.

Q: There are claims that you have appointed agents, that so and so who are close to you, travelled all over the country to buy nominations on your behalf since the division meetings started.

A: They are not representing me. I have to admit it is easy to be framed. All it takes is for someone to bring money bags and say “please vote for Mukhriz.”

Q: How do you plan to protect yourself against such political manoeuvring?

A: Just by being me so that people can judge me by my deeds. I pride myself with the kind of integrity that is much needed in Umno. I will do nothing that can bring disrepute to the party.

Q: Some people believe that you don’t have what it takes to be an Umno Youth leader. They say that your are too soft and you lack the fiery temperament normally associated with Umno Youth leaders.

A: Look at my track record, I have always been consistent and have been so for the four years I was active in politics. I may not have ‘in your face’ type of approach, but my firmness and steadfastness on important issues is well known. I have been going against the grain when it was not a politically correct thing to do and I am not the type who toady to anyone. I am not about to shout in someone’s face and call for rally. I may not be the type that demonstrates in public to get front page news coverage. But I concede that each man has his own way and means. Our performance in March and the results of the Permatang Pauh by-election have shown that our present method may not be the best. Maybe my style is more acceptable.

Q: Do you think Umno Youth is ready for the kind of change that you are trying to promote?

A: I qualified to contest within three days of the start of the division meetings. I believe the resounding support that they have shown thus far is not so much for me but more for what I stand for. They understand that change is critical for Umno if it is to rule the Government next term.

Q: You have the highest nominations thus far. How confident are you that this will translate into real votes come March.

A: Figures don’t lie. Should I lose, it would mean that grassroots obviously want me but not the delegates. If that is the case, are we certain that this is the best way for Umno to conduct its election?

Q: What do you see as your greatest challenge in the next five months.

A: Money politics. I we don’t rectify the perception that Umno is fraught with money politics, we will definitely lose in the next elections. It will not be due to the Opposition being stronger, but because the people are disgusted with us. I find it disturbing that Umno is no longer associated with good values which is the key to winning back the people’s support.

Q: Among the three contenders for Umno Youth chief post, you are seen as the most politically naive. Will that cost you votes?

A: I’d rather be naive then be dirty. When I tell people not to take that RM200, they say, come on its only RM200. This is the point where the system breaks down. If being naive means standing up for your principles then I am willing to be naive. I will back off if people say that I use money.

Q: What will your strategy be in the next five months.

A: By being myself. Talking is fun, but I don’t go about accusing others. I hope people have the good sense to judge me by my deeds. I would like to win, but I am not that desperate to the extent of setting aside my dignity and principles. We lost Kedah (to the Opposition) we lost the state, yet the intensity of the competition for party posts was unprecedented.

Q: Does being Tun Dr Mahathir’s son help you in your political quest?

A: Much as I respect my father for his sacrifices for this country, I am not beholden to him and I don’t necessarily have to agree with him all the time. In fact, when he left Umno he was implying that I should do the same. He was quite disappointed when I decided against it. People told me that my ratings fell after that. He also said that he supported Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah (as Umno president) when I had clearly said that Najib is the best successor. We have had differences in opinions.

by The Star

Raja Petra surprised at being freed by High Court



SHAH ALAM: Blogger Raja Petra Raja Kamarudin said he was surprised to be released from detention under the Internal Security Act (ISA).

“Not many people who challenged Section 8 of the ISA have succeeded, so I did not give much hope to it. It is a sort of 50-50. I was surprised actually,” said the 58-year-old.

Asked about his feelings, Raja Petra said, “I am just too tired”.

To a question on what this experience taught him, he said, “I suppose we have to fight all-out to get the ISA abolished. I suppose the cause has been recognised.”

He also said that the ISA was not a valid law to be used against political dissidents.

“The court decision has made very clear the message that ISA cannot be used for political reasons.

“I am not a terrorist. I am not a dangerous person. I am just a writer,” he said.

Asked if he was looking forward to having Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak as the Prime Minister, Raja Petra said, “I am waiting for Anwar (PKR adviser Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim) to become the Prime Minister.”

The scruffy-bearded Raja Petra was given a hero’s welcome and garlanded with flowers as he walked out of the Shah Alam High Court a free man.

Smiling broadly, he spoke briefly to reporters before greeting the horde of supporters who were at the court since morning in anticipation of his release.

His supporters, clad in various colours with different slogans on their T-shirts saying, “Free RPK, Abolish ISA, We Want Our Rights, No to ISA and No Holds Barred,” clapped and cheered in and outside the courtroom.

Raja Petra left for home in a maroon Rolls-Royce car at 3.35pm.

He was accompanied by wife Marina Lee Abdullah. Also present was DAP’s Ronnie Liu, who is also a Selangor state executive councillor.

by The Star

Umno elections: Ali Rustam qualifies for deputy race

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam is set to take on Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin in the fight for the Umno deputy presidency.

The Malacca Chief Minister qualified to contest the post when he received nominations from Pasir Salak, Tumpat, Pendang, Ketereh, Sandakan, Sg Petani and Kubang Kerian bringing his tally to 39.

A candidate needs to secure at least 39 nominations from the 191 divisions to be eligible to contest the party’s number two post in the Umno elections which are scheduled for March.

Muhyiddin was the first to qualify and remains the favourite.

The International Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister continued to pick up nominations from Wangsamaju, Kuala Nerus, Jerai and Kangar.

His total as of 7pm Saturday stands at 82 nominations.

Not to be left out is the third aspirant, Tan Sri Muhammad Muhammad Taib.

The Rural and Regional Development Minister is close enough to the finishing line to qualify to run for the post.

With 36 nomination already in the bag, he needs only another three to make it a three-cornered fight.

His nominations on Saturday came from Baling, PJ Selatan, Pensiangan, Sg Besar, Sik and Hulu Langat.

By convention the Umno deputy presidency becomes the Deputy Prime Minister.

Therefore the contest for the deputy presidency is particularly exciting this time around because Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had already said he would be handing over power to his successor after the party elections.

Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak is the anointed successor and has already won the Umno presidency uncontested.

Despite this, he continues to pick up nomination after nomination.

His own division, Pekan, met Saturday and gave him their endorsement to be the next party leader.

The Pekan division however played it safe by opting to stay neutral for its other nominations. It did not nominate anyone for the deputy presidency nor for the vice presidency.

The Kepala Batas division which is the Prime Minister’s division is expected to do same when it meets on Sunday.

For the vice-presidency, Datuk Seri Dr Jamalauddin Jarjis is just one nomination short of qualifying, while Datuk Seri Rais Yatim needs two more.

A candidate needs a minimum of 20 nominations to be able to contest for the vice-presidency.

So far, six have already qualified for the contest. They are Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein, Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, Datuk Seri Shafie Apdal, Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin, Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar and Tan Sri Mohd Isa Samad.

by The Star